When eyes are lacking moisture, it can cause many uncomfortable symptoms, including burning eyes, itchiness, and blurry vision. While eye dryness can be uncomfortable, it is a treatable condition. At West Village Eyecare in New York, NY, you can help get relief for your dry eyes.
What Causes Dry Eye Syndrome?
Many factors can cause the eyes to become dry. Dry eye syndrome can occur when the eyes aren't able to produce enough tears to keep the eye properly lubricated. Causes of dry eye syndrome can include:
- Age: Tear production can naturally reduce with age. In some cases, this leaves people with burning eyes, dryness, and other types of irritation.
- Medical conditions: Some medical conditions can increase the risk of dry eye syndrome.
- Medications: Many common medications can cause dry eye, including antidepressants.
- Eye injuries: Some people develop dry eye after an injury to the eye. Some eye injuries, including eye surgery, can cause dry eye to develop.
- Contact lenses: Contacts can also be a cause of dry eye.
Dry Eye Prevention
While dry eyes can't always be prevented, certain steps can reduce the risk of dryness. Make sure you blink frequently throughout the day, and take regular breaks when you're reading or using electronic devices. Drink plenty of water to keep hydrated throughout the day, and consider using a humidifier when you're in a dry environment. Wear sunglasses outdoors so that your eyes are protected from wind and UV rays.
How an Optometrist on Our Optometry Team Can Help
Treatment for dry eye varies based on the cause and severity of the condition, but there are a wide range of treatments available. Eye drops may be used as the first line of treatment. These products can mimic natural tears and add much-needed moisture to eyes. We may also recommend some lifestyle changes that will help you avoid dry eyes in the future.
If your dry eye syndrome is more severe, an eye doctor on our team may recommend other treatments.
Talk to an Optometrist on Our Optometry Team about Dry Eye Syndrome and Dry Eye Prevention in New York, NY
If you've been struggling with dry, itchy eyes, we at West Village Eyecare can help you get relief. With our help, you can find treatment for your dry eyes. We can even offer tips for dry eye prevention. Reach out to us today to request an appointment. Call us at (212) 242-6592 for more information.